CJ Back to Basics

SAVE THE CHILDREN PROGRESS!

Monday 5 September 2011

Quick update...

Well... where do I start??

It has been a complete rollercoaster in the last couple of weeks.. both emotionally and practically...

So after the breakup, i was sitting in my PJs on my laptop, feeling very low and like there was nothing to feel positive about (of course there always is.. I have my health, friends and family etc etc and as I said before I am much more fortunate than some others especially the children we are raising money for) but sometimes these feelings somehow overcome you, no matter how hard you try. So I just thought, this is how I feel today and just accepted its a normal way to feel after what happened. So I was in a hate my job, I hate everything mode and I found myself sending my CV off to a recruitment consultant in Switzerland.  My Dad used to do touring coach holidays out there and my Mum and I used to go with him sometimes, i think its my favourite place i have ever visited. So I thought "I'll send off my CV there"!

Then, completely by suprise, out of the blue, I get this call from Hiliary in Switzerland wanting to put me forward for this job in Switzerland.  So still in my hate everything mood I said yes please why not? Thinking it probably wouldnt go any further.  Then I have a phonecall a day or so later... they would like a telephone interview with me on Wednesday.  By this time I am thinking, oh my god, what have i done?!

So the call is at 5:30pm GMT, i sit there eagerly watching my phone, 5:30 goes past, i'm pacing up and down my living room (very impatient i know!).. the phone rings..

It lasts nearly an hour, I feel it went well (although i was so nervous i felt out of breath!) and she was ever so nice. Then into the other living room to have a half hour discussion with my parents... will they call back? wont they call back? a pointless discussion as it is totally out of our hands but nevertheless very essential!!

The next day Hiliary calls, can i fly out to Zurich for an interview on Friday?? Oh, this is really happening, what have i done? i must be mad? i dont speak German.. I dont know a soul out there.. I have no money! So i said yes I would love to!!

They paid for the trip so I had no expense, all my other worries still very much existed but excitement and the sense of adventure took over... in my head I was yodeling on some hill with snowcapped mountains in the background.. then i stopped as i realised that was Austria...

Got that Friday off work somehow and took a flight to Zurich at some silly hour in the morning when nobody should be awake, I couldnt sleep at all the night before, nerves, excitement, more yodeling...so i felt pretty worn out! 

When I arrive in Zurich its 33 degrees celcius and i am dressed up with tights shoes the lot, the nerves are still there but even worse now! I meet Hiliary and we walk to Starbucks where he buys me a cold apple juice.  At this point I am totally mortified... after spending an hour trying to look like a well presented, cool, calm and collected interviewee... i now look like a bedragled, sweaty mess, with wandering eyeshadow and one very damp brow!

Into the interview, I have a panel of three interviewing me, again I have the shakey voice and now even more sweat dripping off my brow, trying not to draw too much attention to it I discreetly wiped my brow. Probably wasnt discreet at all and they probably thought i had some health issue of some sort!!

They were all very nice though, really lovely people.  They asked me to go and meet the team at the offices in the morning.  By this point I am thinking this might actually happen for me and my nerves have turned into nervous excitement!

I get a call Monday night and they tell me I have got the job!! I leave to go out there on Saturday the 8th October and start work on the 10th October.

I couldnt believe it, one miserable Sunday in my Pjs, wanting to eat my entire kitchen, having some big fast food cravings too and now my entire situation has changed, pretty much overnight.

So now I have to look for an apartment which are few and far between, the list is endless before I actually leave, but i couldnt be more excited! Its such a great opportunity for me.

I know some of you may be thinking, how is she going to do all of that with a tenner a week?? well in short, its not possible, the cost of living there is so high, but i cannot pass up the opportunity.  I have decided that i will still live frugally and hold onto what i have learnt and once im settled in will maybe think about raising some more money out there.

I am flying back to do the event at the Talbooth event on the 15th which i now have hopefully 90 people attending and which should raise a decent amount for the charity.  I will continue to do what I can however I wont be going back to fast food, beauty treatments, shopping sprees or my old ways, I have learnt too much and I will try to continue with my blog once I am out there.  Maybe I will call it.. Back to basics..Swiss Style.

Anyway thought i would let you know where i'm at xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home